Naberezhnye Chelny, Tatarstan, Russia – November 2020. A 65-year-old worker died at the KAMAZ PJSC factory when he got caught in a spinning lathe machine. The incident was investigated by the Investigative Committee for the Republic of Tatarstan. No further info.
Video of the incident.
Slowed down version.
Lathes are exceptionally useful for cutting metal or wood, but if used improperly they can be incredibly dangerous. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that the most common injuries caused by lathe accidents are broken fingers, cuts to the hands and hot shrapnel in the eyes. When using a lathe, it’s important to take safety precautions such as wearing proper clothing, maintaining the proper speed and practicing safe cutting techniques.
Points to consider
- Lathes can easily catch long sleeves and loose clothing and become incredibly dangerous.
- Correct dress is important, remove rings and watches, roll sleeves above elbows.
- Avoid reaching across the rotating chuck or work piece.
- Always stop the lathe before making adjustments.
- Always wear protective eye protection.